CLICK ON THE REGISTER BUTTON ABOVE TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION FORM (Must login with username & password)
You Matter! Planting Seeds of Growth
Submission Deadline April 13, 2020 ~ Notification By May 4, 2020
2020 Michele Dowdy Emerging Leader Student Application
What is the VCA Leadership Academy?
The VCA 6th Annual Leadership Academy is a day and a half of specialized training hosted by VCA and its Executive Board leaders. Current leaders will welcome, mentor, and educate Emerging Leaders attendees through educational sessions, interactive activities, and service planning. The Leadership Academy is also an opportunity for attendees to learn about other leadership opportunities within VCA and become involved in service or advocacy projects.
The Virginia Counselors Association (VCA) Leadership Academy was designed to provide graduate counseling students with meaningful experiences that support leadership skill and competency development, and diverse opportunities to actively participate in VCA Executive Board meetings, serve on a committee, special committees, and/or engage in projects of interest, receive mentorship, build professional networks, and gain exposure to the responsibilities associated with fulfilling elected leadership positions. Overall, this experience is designed to help facilitate professional identity development as a leader in the counseling profession.
Benefits to Applying:
● Emerging Leaders will have their program registration and hotel lodging paid for through grant funding from VCA.
● Emerging Leaders will be recognized at the 2020 VCA Convention as an Emerging Leader during the Awards Luncheon.
● Emerging Leaders will receive a complimentary 2020 VCA Convention registration.
● Emerging Leaders will also be recognized on VCA’s website.
● Emerging Leaders will be featured in the VCA e-newsletter which is distributed to all active VCA members.
● Emerging Leaders will have the opportunity to work with and be mentored by seasoned professionals and leaders in the counseling profession.
When and Where is the VCA Leadership Academy?
The VCA Leadership Academy will be held on July 31 & August 1, 2020 at the Hyatt Place Richmond Arboretum, 201 Arboretum Place, Richmond, VA 23236. Accepted applicants are required to attend the entirety of the VCA Leadership Academy program and the 2020 VCA Convention November 12-14, 2020 at The Williamsburg Lodge, Williamsburg, VA.
What We Are Looking For:
VCA is looking to build an inclusive group of leaders ready to advocate for the profession!
● Applicants who have exhibited exceptional leadership potential in their personal, professional, and educational careers.
● Applicants who aspire to serve VCA in a variety of roles for the betterment of the counseling profession and the consumers of counseling services.
● Applicants who are committed to advocacy and service to improve the counseling profession through VCA.
● Applicants who have a commitment to ethics and culturally competent leadership.
Overview of Application Submission Guidelines:
Approximately 8 Emerging Leaders will be selected from any of the following applicant categories: graduate master’s or doctoral student.
Minimum Required Criteria for Qualification:
1. Enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program
2. A student, new professional or professional member of VCA.
3. Committed to becoming a leader by serving on the board of a chapter, division, or committee within VCA in the 2021-22 year.
4. Awardees will be expected to serve in some capacity on the Convention Planning Committee and volunteer at the 2020 VCA Convention (November 12-14, 2020 at The Williamsburg Lodge, Williamsburg, VA).
5. Pete Warren Fellows are not eligible to win the Michelle Dowdy Emerging Leader Scholarship in the same calendar year they are awarded a fellowship.
The selection committee will notify applicants of the status of their application by Monday, May 4, 2020. Upon receipt of an application, a confirmation email will be sent. If you have any questions, please contact the VCA Leadership Academy Co-Chairs, Cyrus Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org or Wendy Eckenrod-Green, email@example.com
Michele Dowdy Emerging Leader Student Application Information
1. Go to https://www.vcacounselors.org/event/VCALA2020StudentApplication
2. Login with username & password
3. Complete the online student application questions (ATTENTION: If question is underlined, you need to hover cursor over question to view in its entirety)
4. Attach your curriculum vitae OR resume
5. Attach two letters of recommendation describing your leadership skills and experiences, and reasons why you should be selected to serve as an Emerging Leader. (Letters should not come from members of the VCA Emerging Leader selection committee).
6. Click the “Submit” button. (upon submission, a confirmation email will be sent)
Student Application Questions (must login with username and password)
Full Name: ____________________________________
Email Address: _________________________________
Phone Number: _________________________________
Do you feel you are able to commit to activities, mentorship relationships, service projects, and meetings related to your professional development for VCA? ___ Yes ____ No
Master’s or Doctoral Degree: ____________________________
Program area of study: _________________________________
Please limit your responses to two pages or less:
The goal of the VCA Leadership Academy is to create new leaders. An expectation of all attendees is participation in VCA, either through a committee, chapter, or division within the next calendar year. Please answer the following questions to indicate your commitment to this goal.
What background, experience, and/or characteristics do you possess that demonstrate your commitment to professional identity and promise as a future VCA leader?
Leaders have to have a strong commitment to the profession and to professional organizations. What does it mean to you to show commitment to your profession and how do you plan to commit to VCA in the future?
What do you hope to gain from attending the 2020 VCA Leadership Academy?
Questions? Contact the VCA Leadership Academy Co-Chairs, Cyrus Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org or Wendy Eckenrod-Green, email@example.com