WHAT IS VCA?
The Virginia Counselors Association (VCA) is a non-profit organization (501c6). VCA was founded in Richmond in 1930 as the Virginia Personnel and Guidance Association (VPGA). VCA is dedicated to the goal of meeting the needs of Virginia counselors in a variety of work settings. It is a dynamic and active organization that has been effective in responding to state-wide issues and in providing opportunities for professional interaction at the state and local levels.
VCA is the state branch of theAmerican Counseling Associationand a member of theACA Southern Region. VCA members are expected to comply with the Ethics and Professional Standards established by ACA. The current ACA Ethical Code was revised in 2005 and is available using the link above or visitACA's Ethics webpage. Ourorganizational chartdemonstrates these relationships.
The vision and mission of VCA will be the driving force as the Association strives to meet the organizational goals with careful consideration of fiscal responsibility in carrying out the work of the Association. The organizational goals set forth shall be reviewed annually to evaluate areas in need as the board engages in work to improve and strengthen the organization.
VISION:The Vision of the Virginia Counselors Association is to strengthen the professional identity of counselors through innovative professional development and collaboration. We strive to empower counselors to live well and serve well. (Rev. March 3, 2018)
MISSION:The Virginia Counselors Association exists to promote the counseling profession by supporting, empowering and advocating for the diverse needs of all counselors in Virginia. (Rev. March 3, 2018)
ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS (2017-2018)
The goals of VCA areidentifiedin theStrategicPlan (http://www.vcacounselors.org/?page=strategicplan2017)updated in September 2017, and revised on March 3, 2018.
- Spearheading legislation to be the first state to license professional counselors
- Facilitating the introduction and passage of 2002 legislation that provides statutory authority for the Board of Counseling to establishcontinuing education requirements and regulations for Licensed Practical Counselors.
- Providing professional development through an annual convention and co-sponsors other professional development activities for counselors in all settings.
- Sponsoring an annualLegislative Dayto advocate for public policy and legislative issues affecting counselors across work settings.
VCA has many committees to keep things running and to create more for our members. Committees denoted with * are standing committees as designated by the bylaws. Visit ourCommittee Pagefor more information about committees.
- Advocacy Relations*
- Convention Coordinating Committee*
- Nominations and Elections*
- Professional Development*
Formal business meetings are held on a routine basis at the annual VCA Convention to govern the activities of VCA. The minutes are available to members. Visit theMeeting Minutes Pagefor more information about the activities of the board.
Back to Top