VCA AWARDS: WILLIAM H. VAN HOOSE CAREER SERVICE
The William H. Van Hoose Career Service Award was established by the VPGA Executive Committee in 1964 to give recognition to those members whose contributions to the professional aims of the organization have been substantial.
- The recipient shall be a member in good standing of the VCA in the year the award is made.
- The recipient shall be recognized as having:
- Rendered a significant contribution to the advancement of the professional goals or VCA; or,
- Performed an outstanding act or achievement, such as a noteworthy professional manuscript, program, seminar, etc.
- Made a significant contribution to public understanding of the professional aims and achievements of guidance and personnel works whether at the state or local level; or,
- Created and stimulated research in guidance, counseling, or personnel work in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Nomination packet is organized according to the guidelines listed below and clearly supports the nomination. Presentation of materials is also considered in the evaluation process.
- Nominations for the William H. Van Hoose Career Service Award may be submitted by VCA Chapters/Divisions or by individual members of VCA. It is the responsibility of the nominator to secure supporting information. The Nomination Packet should contain the following components:
- A letter of nomination clearly reflecting the reason the person is being nominated for the William H. Van Hoose Career Service Award.
- Curriculum vitae or resume containing relevant biographical data including degrees and institutions; professional memberships, offices held, presentations, publications, etc.
- Up to three letters of support may be submitted from VCA members,the nominees’ supervisor,or knowledgeable colleagues providing further information in support of the nomination
- Supporting materials should be limited to a 15-page limit and contain items that clearly relate to the award nomination.
- Nomination packet (or notebook) should be organized according to the following guidelines:
Mail completed packets to Brandy Smith, 811 S College Ave, Salem, Virginia 24153 or complete the online awards submission form by the October 1 deadline date.
Nominees who do not receive the award in one year are eligible for renomination in subsequent years; however, a new and/or updated Nomination Packet should be submitted.
The Committee is free to obtain additional information it wishes about nominee. It is not required that nominators obtain the permission of nominees to submit their names; however, they are free to do so. The Committee will treat all information as confidential.
- Cover page
- Nomination form
- Table of contents
- Nomination letter
- Curriculum vitae or resume of nominee
- Supporting letters
- Supporting material (limited to 15 pages)
If the attachments for your submission exceed the slots available on the form, any extra attachments should be emailed as attachments to the Committee. You must still complete the online form. Email the Awards Committee Chair at email@example.com.